Monday, September 20, 2010

Camping at Doughton Park

Last weekend, we drove up the Parkway to go camping for a few days. We had such a great time; I love camping! Both Aaron and I grew up camping with our families, and we camped together as families a lot. We have such fond memories of camping together all up and down the Blue Ridge Parkway back in the 80's. I'm thankful for the fact that we were able to get a pop-up camper this past spring; hopefully it will make it easier for us to go on camping trips with our kids as they grow up.

The clerk at the gift shop we had just stopped at loved the kids so much, she gave them each a tootsie roll pop. They loved them!

It is absolutely beautiful country where we were. I believe the nearest post office would have been Laurel Springs, NC.

It doesn't get better than this.

The campground was nice, I especially like the loop we were on. It was very wooded and private. There were other campers there, but mostly we had the loop to ourselves.

Daddy doing what he does best in the morning--flipping bacon and making coffee!

Just over Katie Mae's left shoulder WAYYY out on the horizon, you can see Buffalo Mtn in Floyd Co.

This old water tower, built in 1938 was dripping water. Aaron was letting it run down his elbow and the kids were drinking the runoff.

I posted this long leaf pine tree (White Pine I assume) because it was so amazing how far out on to the rocks the lower branches reached. This picture doesn't do it much justice, but it was so cool we turned around the car to get a better look at it!

The Poison Ivy is all the lovely shades of fall. Look but don't touch!

I suppose I'll post the rest of the pictures of our trip later, as it's getting super late. More to come later!

2 comments:

susankroupa said...

Great photos! What a great trip!

Kallie said...

Jenny Brown, it is time for a scolding! I am ready for a new blog post and I surely hope your new camera comes soon so we can see something other than Doughton Park!
Hope you are feeling well and look forward to seeing you when we come for the cow!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails