Saturday, February 11, 2012

I Was Gonna Make These This Morning......

but I don't have any canned biscuits.  So, I decided to take the extra few minutes to make homemade biscuits.  (recipe and photo courtesy of Tasty Kitchen.)

However, I didn't have enough Virginia's Best Flour, which is the ONLY flour I use to make biscuits.  I don't use bleached flour for anything but biscuits.  But you have to use this flour for biscuits if you live in Virginia or live where you can purchase it.  It is truly the Best. (Here is an interesting article on the family run mill that makes this flour.) I also discovered I was almost out of shortening.  So, I didn't make these for breakfast.








Instead, I resorted to fixing my very favorite pancakes.

  Oatmeal Pancakes

2 cups oatmeal pancake mix
2 eggs
1+ cup of liquid (buttermilk, milk, yogurt, kefir, whey, etc. or a combination thereof)
Optional: Bananas, BLueberries, Nuts, etc.

 Mix and cook like you would any pancake. And if you don't know how to do that....well, google it. Serve with butter, fruit topping of your choice, and syrup.

 Yield: Enough for 2 adults and 4 small children with BIG appetites.

It is SOO easy. Making the pancake mix is easy too, and it's nice to have it on hand for a quick breakfast like this morning, when plan A fell through.

  Oatmeal Pancake Mix

3 1/2 cups rolled oats, ground in a food processor
5 cups flour, any combo (I usually use at least half whole wheat and then a combo of white and/or buckwheat for the remaining half. You can also use wheat germ, oat bran and the like for part of the 5 cups too)
3 T sugar
3 T baking powder
1 T salt
1 T baking soda
1 cup vegetable oil.

 Combine dry ingredients. With your electric mixer on low, slowly drizzle in the oil. Store in an airtight container for 2 weeks on the counter, or indefinitely in the fridge or freezer.

 Yield: 10 cups of dry mix

 I've never had the mix go bad. And I've kept it for a LONG time.  I feel like it's relatively healthy too if you make an effort to use some of the "better" flours rather than just all white flour.  I like them because even if you use mostly whole wheat and buckwheat flour, you're still going to get a light and fluffy pancake.  They are NOT dense. And they're really good.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails