Friday, July 27, 2012

A Home Remedy Everyone Should Know About

I think there are as many "natural" home remedies out there as grains of sand on the beach.  I have tried many home remedies over time and have had mixed results with them, because it seems as if what helps one person will not necessarily help the next.  The following home remedy has proved to be VERY helpful for not only myself, but everyone that I have shown this trick to which includes several of my family members, employees, and friends.

photo courtesy of  http://www.msuturfweeds.net
Plantain is found in nearly every yard and field in North America and even many parts of the world. Plantain is edible, though not extremely tasty, and has many medicinal uses.  I have found it extremely useful for bee stings of every kind of stinging bee.  Just as soon as you get stung, hunt up a plant or have someone else do it if you're delirious with pain.  Take a few leaves, regardless of their age, size, or beauty (it's even ok if they've been cut by the lawn mower), and chew them up into small bits.  Spit it out and put it directly on the bee sting and hold it there.  The tannin in the leaves will draw the "sting" (venom) right out of the sting.  Depending on how you react to bee stings and what kind of bee stung you, it may take away all side effects from the sting.  For me, if I get stung by a honey bee,  I may not even know that I got stung 20 minutes later if I get plantain on it as quickly as possible.  For a yellow jacket, it will take away most, if not all, of the sting, but will still make me swell up like nobody's business.  The key is to get it on the sting as quickly as possibly, preferably within a coupe of minutes.


Photo courtesy of  http://www.main.nc.us/naturenotebook
If you happen to be in the woods where common plantain is not quite as prevalent, look for some rattlesnake plantain.  Alan got stung by a wasp one day while we were walking on a state park trail.  I rushed into the woods and found the nearest plant.   In no time, he felt fit as a fiddle.  Visit this site for more pictures of and a description of rattlesnake plantain.








Visit this site if you'd like another approach the chew-up/spit-out way of doing it, which I think is very effective.




2 comments:

Tommy said...

Thanks for the reminder! I totally forgot about this and the girls get stung at least once a weekend because they don't like to wear shoes in the grass!

canningmama said...

I got stung twice on Sunday! Once was on the tip of my tongue by a sweat? bee. I didn't see it. So, I started chewing and just left it on the tip of my tongue. Within 3 or 4 minutes, there were NO side effects. Not an hour later I got stung on the foot between my big toe and 2nd toe. This time it REALLY hurt; I don't know what got me that time either. Once again, I put some plantain on it and left it for about a 1/2 hour cause I was in pain this time! Pain went away, it didn't swell or itch! It was only slightly sore since I was putting all my weight on it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails