Saturday, September 8, 2012

Onion Relish

I have taken SOO many pictures this summer with intent of blogging, especially about canning.  I'd like to get a fraction of them on the blog! :)  I've really enjoyed canning this year, as I do every year.  It's one of my favorite things to do.  I also love seeing what other people can and getting new ideas.  I've come across several websites that I've enjoyed looking at this year, two of which are Canning Granny and Canning Homemade!.  Since I botched my onion harvest this year, I ended up freezing, dehydrating, and canning my entire harvest.  This recipe is what I did with the last of the onions, which I got from the Canning Granny blog.

Onion Relish

 This recipe was so quick and easy. I followed the recipe just exactly as Canning Granny posted it (this is rare for me).  I put into a pot:


10 cups peeled, chopped onions, which I chopped in my food processor
2 1/4 cups white vinegar
1 cup sugar (I used demerara)
2 T celery seed
2 t salt

 I brought the mixture to a boil, reduced the heat, and let it simmer for 10 minutes.

I packed pint jars, leaving 1/2" head space.

 I put them in my boiling water canner (which is actually my pressure canner here that I was using as a water bath canner), and processed them for 15 minutes at 3,000 ft altitude.

 This relish is good on a hot dog and will also be good on beans.  I'm not sure what else I'd use it in.  Potato salad maybe?  Come to think of it, I think I did increase this recipe just a bit based on the onions I had available. Based on the recipe above, it should have made about 5 pints, and I think I got 7, so I must have increased the recipe to about 14 cups onions and all the rest of the ingredients accordingly.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails