Sunday, March 18, 2012

Chuck the Steer

THIS......

is why I have nicknamed this goofball "Buckethead".  Tonight was Chuck's very last night of having any milk.  We've been weaning him over the last 2 weeks, and at last he's done.  I think this was a good way to wean rather than weaning cold turkey.  We gave him 3 qts. of milk in the morning and 3 qts of milk in the evening for the first solid 3+ months of his life.  For one week after that, we cut his morning and evening portions in half.  The following week, we cut the morning milk out completely, leaving him to drink 1.5 qts in the evening.  As he finishes his milk, he bunts the bucket like he would a mama's udder to try to get the last of the milk.  However, unlike his mama's udder, he manages to sling the bucket up on his head and walk around the stall sucking loudly on nothing but air, desperately hoping that more milk will come flowing forth.  I took this tonight; it's dark in the barn.  Unfortunately, the video is dark too.



"What are you waiting on?  I'm ready for my supper!"
Poor fellar don't know it's his last. (of milk of course)

Good to the last drop!!!!  Just like coffee.  :)

This was Chuck when he was just a couple hours old.  He was estimated at 60-75 lbs.  Notice the blue blanket. It's got wrinkles in it, the black strap is closed as much as it will close, it hangs off his butt and hangs below his belly.

This was when he was a day old.  Dixie, meet Chuck.  
This was the day I mailed the blanket back to the nice gal who loaned it to me.  He was 2 days shy of 2 months old.  He probably weighed 125-140? lb here.  That blanket is strrrrretttccchhhheeeeddd  as far as it'll go!  He's 3 1/2 months old now and weighs 200 lbs. Hopefully he'll be at least 800 lb before he goes to slaughter, but we'll see.  It won't be before late fall if all goes normally.

Daisy died.  You know that right?  I don't think I ever wrote about it.  Hello?  (knock on computer screen)  Hello?  Is anybody out there?  Does anybody care?  Do you want to hear what happened?  That's ok, I don't blame you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails