I started blogging in April 2008 and really enjoy it! Being an extremely busy wife and mother of four, I don't get much time to write. But please do not let that keep you from coming back often as I like having you read what I write! Feel free to comment and let me know you stopped by, and enjoy reading!
Thursday, June 28, 2012
The Essential Guide to Picking Wild Berries ~Part One
Just as around March or April I start dreaming of strawberries and craving them at every turn, I start thinking and dreaming about blackberries/black raspberries/wineberries around this time of year. Just as soon as I see them turning red on the sides of the road, I start scouting them out on nearby roadsides, our property, neighbor's properties, and anywhere I can find a place for us to pick! I've been picking berries since I was a kid and have learned a few things a long the way. The kids love to pick with me and out of necessity, they usually go with me. I enjoy their company even if they don't pick too much. Below is a list of handy things I like to take along with me when I go, especially with kids in mind. Many times, even if I pick on our property, I'll take the car back to the back field just to save a little energy from walking all over the place; this especially helps with little legs that don't have too many miles in them to start with!
Absolute Must Haves:
A container to put your berries in-whether it be a cool whip bowl, ice cream bucket, water bottle, or button up shirt, you gotta have something to put your berries in (yes, I have used all of the listed containers)
Really REALLY Nice to Have Along:
Jeans
Boots or tennis shoes, but I prefer boots
Long sleeves if you don't want to get scratched, but I'd rather get scratched than be hot
Drinking water!
Hats
Snake bite kit---yes, really
Potty chair and toilet paper in the car--(for those 4 year olds that have a 15 minute bladder capacity. It has definitely come in handy)
Backpack carrier or sling or some kind of baby carrier
Snacks, including cheerios for the little one
A big stick, especially if you're alone
Bug spray
Sunscreen
In my next post, I'll share some things I've learned about making the most of your berry picking adventure!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Look at you being all informative. I can't wait for the next post. I'm still such a novice.
Post a Comment