Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Contentment of the Heart


I really am quite used to looking out my window at a world of white. It's going to be weird to see ground again and there be so much more color out there, even if it is just winter browns and greens. I told Aaron this morning that the thing I like the least about the snow is that it's inconvenient to run out to the compost pile on a daily basis, so I have bowls of food scraps sitting on my counter nearly all the time. ( I have broken down and run out in my crocs many a time in the snow to dump the compost; your feet just get wet and cold!)
I've given no small amount of thought to the contentment of the heart when it comes to weather. I realized several years ago that I was always looking forward to the next season. In the winter, I wanted warm weather and bike rides and gardens and shorts. In the summer, I wanted the beautiful colors of fall. In fall, I was thinking of the beautiful spring flowers, and so forth. After several foggy, rainy days, I just wanted the sun to come out. Not that I didn't enjoy the season I was in, but I was always pining for another season. Then I realized that there is nothing we can do about the conditions of the weather. Not only that, but God created each and every wonderful, awesome extreme of weather and everywhere in between. There is nothing that amazes me more than to watch the snow falling in HUGE flakes while the wind is blowing furiously outside, or to see the rain pounding against the house thinking we're about to blow away, or the fury of a summertime thunderstorm. The colder it is outside, the more awesome the sunrise. It's amazing! So, I decided there's never any reason to wish for the snow to go away or the heat to be less intense. For everything there is a season and I enjoy them all. Even when it's been rainy for 2 weeks and Aaron cannot get out to work; yeah, it's inconvenient and financially straining sometimes, but there's no reason to be mad about the rain. Because we can't change it. And ever since I made this choice several years back, it's nice to not have frustrations, discontent, or hatred about the weather. Because, believe me, there's plenty else to be upset about!

4 comments:

Orpha Peachey Yoder said...

This is probably the best article I've read about contentment and winter, ever!!! Thank you for sharing, it is beautifully written and the message is timely. Lovely photos, too!

Kallie said...

You're back in action! I'm soooooo glad. I can't tell you how many times I went to your blog waiting for an update and the moment I have been waiting for has finally arrived! Hooray for laptops!
This is a fabulous blog you just wrote, by the way...it got me thinking even deeper about being content with different seasons of life. Love you! Can't wait to see your sweet family again.

Anonymous said...

That's what I am workin' on.

missamandabeth said...

Well said sis. The closer I live to the land, the more content I find myself with each season as it comes. It is fleeting, and each has its purpose. This past summer was so busy that it made me realize how wonderful winter is as a time of rest and recuperation. And now the grass is starting to turn green!! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails