Monday, March 15, 2010

Did They Survive?

It's too early to tell so far whether or not my hive will make it, but there ARE some alive right now. Last week it was "just" warm enough to dip into the hive very briefly. My goal was to take one deep hive body off to narrow it down to two deep hive bodies rather than three. I accomplished that goal and also found MANY MANY dead bees. Bees make a cluster, like a ball, in the wintertime to stay warm. Though there were many flying around on the warm days last week, there was a very definite "cluster" that died over the winter. Now my main question is, did the queen die WITH the cluster. Only time will tell. Once I get a REALLY warm day (65, sunny and calm), I'll take a more in depth look to see if I can find the queen or evidence of it (eggs, larva, brood.)



^This is what I just dumped off the bottom board. Oh, the carnage. ^


I took an 8 week bee class over the winter, 6 of which I attended. I didn't learn TOO much, but it was worth it. I learned enough to make it worth the $25 I had to pay to attend, plus it was local which was nice. (Local meaning I only had to drive 15 miles to get there!) I'm going to be volunteering at a class Mar. 27th and Apr. 3 about 1 1/2 hr away, so hopefully I'll learn more there too. I attended the last 1/2 of this same class last year when I was just getting started, but missed the first 1/2, so I'm looking forward to hearing more of it this time.





^Every last one of these bees are dead and I had four frames, front and back that looked like this. This was part of the "cluster"; if you look very closely in all the bees, every cell has a bee in it with just their little butts sticking out. That's the classic sign of starvation, despite the fact that I fed them throughout the winter a 2:1 sugar water ratio syrup.



^See? There's still some activity though the majority of them died.^

I have a 3# package of bees coming on April 19th so I can get back up to 2 hives again. I also need to purchase some more wood ware and paint it "just in case" I need to split a hive or catch a swarm. I hope this year is a really good year!

5 comments:

lislynn said...

Oh cool! I didn't realize you guys had bees! That's awesome :) Some day, if the Lord gives a home in the country, I'd love to have bees!

Good luck :)

canningmama said...

Last year was our first year for keeping bees, so I still consider myself to be a "novice". I love it. I could get into SO many hobbies like this (cows, chickens, pigs, etc.) but I just haven't figured out how to manage it time wise! :(

missamandabeth said...

We still haven't looked in ours. I wonder what we'll find. I've definitely seen lots of activity, so I know they aren't dead. I'm glad now Joe convinced me to leave them that extra honey super. It was a tough winter!!

Appalachian Lady said...

I wonder whether you shouldn't ask an experienced beekeeper about this. It's wierd that so many died and that you see so many bees outside.

canningmama said...

Appalachian Lady, I took the bees to the meeting and they agreed that it was starvation, but that some survived. I described the whole scenario to Jerry, Jack, Mark, and others and they all agreed that some starved, some survived. It is strange though.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails