One fine fall day, the children and I went to a nearby picnic ground to have a picnic. It was a beautiful day. Perfect temperature, sunny, it was picturesque.

The kids were so sweet; they were well behaved and enjoyable. Elizabeth and Katie were being particularly cute.

The only irritation about the picnic was this one yellow jacket that just wouldn't leave us alone. I'd been keeping an eye on it, swatting it away from Elizabeth and Katie when it got close. But we managed to get through most of the meal. We were going to finish our cookies and then head up to the tower and run around some...maybe even rake up a pile of leaves to jump in.

I had about two bites left of my pumpkin whoopie pie. I was watching the kids run around while Elizabeth sat next to me. I put a bite in my mouth and BAM! Immediately I knew what had just happened. I had been stung on the tongue by the danged yellow jacket. It had been on my dessert and I hadn't noticed it! Well, needless to say, the picnic was cut short. We packed up as quickly as we could and headed back towards the house. After a little more than an hour I decided to call the local doctor's office to see if I could take some Benadryl (nursing mother ya know). My tongue had swollen to the point that it had outgrown my mouth and I could barely swallow. I was breathing just fine, but swallowing had to be very intentional with a throw-your-head-back while doing so sort of ordeal. The nurse was rather alarmed and said, "Ma'am, is your tongue all swollen up?!?! I can hardly understand you!" It was kind of funny. Anyway, I took some Benadryl and slept REALLY well for about an hour and a half. :) The following day, my tongue was merely just sore. The swelling under my chin and on my tongue had gone down, as well as the pounding head ache, ear ache, and jaw ache. After a couple days, my tongue started ITCHING. IT ITCHED FOR TWO DAYS!!!! It was AWFUL! Talking made it itch, breathing made it itch. The itch was worse than the sting! It's all better now though. However, I did bite my tongue so badly during dinner tonight that I thought I was going to pass out. It gave me an instant ear ache that I am still aware of 3 hours later! Aaron said I need to take an insurance policy out on my tongue. :P

I took this a few weeks ago while I was in town with the kids. We went on a walk on the walking trail that goes through town, while conspicuously staying in the woods most of the time.
3 comments:
Why didn't you take a picture of your tongue!
I did....I just didn't think I wanted to put it on my blog. :)
good to hear from you, love all of you very much.
Post a Comment