Monday, May 18, 2009

Bits 'n' Pieces

Ah well, I guess a short post is better than no post, right? Today has been a delightful day over all. I have spent too much time on the computer today, far too much, like 2 1/2 hours, but other than that, the sky is blue, the temps are GORGEOUS, the kids have been good, what more can you ask for? We went to town to do banking and bill paying. I got all the last plants I wanted for the garden (I'm trying to go SUPER small this year, but it just seems to grow and grow. My "couple tomato plants" has turned in to 7 rows of potatoes, 11 tomato plants, 10 bell pepper plants 4 hot pepper plants, 16 lettuces, 8 squash, 8 zucchini, 8 cucumbers, basil, parsley, and an unknown number of green beans. At least I have 2 little mexicans to help me! They are actually starting to HELP and not hinder...the jury's still out on Alan, but he tries to help whiles he stomping the plants at the same time!). I also decided to treat the kids and take them to their favorite area playground which we only go to about once a year. (I treated myself to an Oreo milkshake from Cook Out while they played!) Hopefully I can get all the remaining plants planted tomorrow as it's supposed to be near freezing tonight. Does mother nature not know that the last frost date has passed already? My sweet potato vine died in my hanging baskets last night cause it got down in the low/mid thirties. : (

I still have high hopes of posting pictures and stories of: My dad's wild honey bee hive, our two new honey bee hives (not wild), Alan's 4th b'day, Katie Mae's 1st b'day, the kids' group b'day party, including Savannah's, a pizza party at my sister, Amanda's, and my cousin from north Georgia, Sarah's visit. But who in the heck am I kidding? It'll probably never EVER happen. So maybe if my pictures will hurry up and download off my camera, I can post a couple here.

But while I'm waiting for them.....it dawned on me today just how fast the kids are growing up! Where did my babies go? We were in the car, having just gotten the mail, and I handed the kids the junk mail. (they like to "open" up the mail and I sure as heck wasn't going to give them the checks that came in the mail!) It cracked me up listening to Savannah read the flyer from Southern Living that was trying to get me to try their book on the free 30 day preview (I'm a sucker for those...you know the one with the 2 free gifts and an entry in the sweepstakes!). The way she was reading was making it sound so appealing what with all the inflections she was using as I have taught her when a sentence ends with an exclamation point. She just loved the part and chuckled saying it wouldn't cost me a penny if I didn't like it. Then, I'm sitting on the playground with Katie Mae and my milkshake (she loved it too...how bad am I feeding my 1 yr old a milkshake?!?!), and I remember sitting at that very playground a few years ago being a nervous wreck because my 2 yr old little girl is being plowed over by the big kids and feeling like I have to be one step behind her so she will be safe from the bullies. Now, my 4 & 6 yr old are running WITH the big kids, playing hide and seek and chase. I'm sitting on the bench like a bum, not one step behind them (I had to finish my milkshake!), and THEY'VE GROWN UP in the blink of an eye! It made me sad. :( But it's always a new adventure and phase of life. They can help in the garden and help around the house, so that's something I've never had before either. Instead of me wiping bottoms, they're washing dishes. Time flies by!!

Here is just a tiny sampling of what has been going on in our lives lately. Enjoy!


Our two new bee hives, right after installation of the packages, on a wet,drippy, chilly day.




Katie Mae, on her first birthday eating her favorite thing...strawberries. Definitely a girl after my own heart.



i
Katie Mae on her first birthday in her birthday swing. She LOVES it. I just wish we'd had one for Savannah and Alan!




Nathan and Rachel's newest son, Shepard Whitson, born April 29, 2009.




The triple b'day party for Alan, Katie Mae, and Savannah




Sisters, sisters, never were there more devoted sisters....




The pizza king himself in action!




You can't go to Amanda and Joe's without takin' a break in the hammock.




Sarah 'n' me. Thanks for coming, Sarah even though rural VA lifestyle isn't just right up your alley. You made a valiant effort. Luv ya!




Though they totally wouldn't cooperate, the second cousins...Alan, Alison, Savannah, Katie Mae, and Connor




My little Mexicans, plantin' taters.



Assisting Daddy with his first inspection of his wild hive yesterday, Sunday. They are doing great!!!

1 comment:

missamandabeth said...

Yay! I love all the pictures! I see you found your camera :) You can feel free to send your little Mexicans my way any day as I have plenty of work they can do.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails