It's a foggy, rainy day today, and I am in the midst of a nasty head cold, so what better way to pass the time than to blog a bit. Yesterday, my head and eyes hurt so badly that I couldn't keep them open, but today I feel more human like.
As "old news" as it is, I'll tell the story anyway, as I have nothing else to blog about! : ) Helmiina, a foreign exchange student from Finland came to stay with us for just over 2 weeks this summer. She came to the U.S. with IFYE, a 4-H foreign exchange program. We learned about Helmiina about a month before she came to stay with us, which was not a moment too soon, as it took me every bit of that time to get the house (and basement) in order! It was amazing in some way how fast the 2 weeks flew by, but we still had a chance to see a lot and stay home a good bit too.

Of course we had to go to Mabry Mill. You can't come from another country and NOT see Mabry Mill!

Playin' a little ole timey checkers with corn cob circles at Mabry Mill.

The bedroom I prepared for Helmiina in the basement.

One afternoon we went swimming at the pool that Aaron spent all spring installing, including the retaining walls, patio, and everything you see here. Coming this fall (or in the future), is an outdoor kitchen, outdoor lighting, and plants.

Taken one night at my parent's house.

Helmiina brought 2 Finnish recipes that she made for us. This recipe was called Karilien Pies. The filling is rice pudding inside a whole wheat/rye pastry. It's not a sweet food at all, but very good. I enjoyed them and am glad to have this authentic recipe from Finland! Apparently, these are very popular over there.

Helmiina helped me by going in the bees one day. Her father keeps bees back at home, so she had some knowledge and experience with the whole process.

This is my garden from 40 feet in the air. Aaron needed to rent a lift for a job one day, so he took us all up in it. It's amazing how the view changes when you're that high off the ground!

A view from the lift looking straight down.

Helmiina and Savannah's turn for a trip up!

Aaron and Helmiina at Floyd Fest. This experience could be a post all by itself, as I have quite a few pictures (and stories) from this day trip!!!

The Blacksburg Hoorah Cloggers performing at Floyd Fest. My sisters, Lynn and Amanda are both a part if this group. Lynn is in the red dress. Amanda was home with my kids so I could be at the festival for the day! She had several other opportunities to perform over the 4 day festival though.

One of the many strange, yet oddly normal sights at Floyd Fest.

My brother, Joe built this electric guitar and just finished it recently. Helmiina, Joe, Mariah, (Joe's girlfriend), my dad, and I enjoyed sitting around playing it one evening while at my parent's house.

One morning we met several homeschool families for a field trip to a local alpaca farm and then on to the Blue Ridge Music Center for some Midday Music. Katie Mae gets a chance to pet an alpaca while Daddy holds her.

The Buck Mountain Band at the Blue Ridge Music Center

A picnic lunch at the Blue Ridge Music Center with 17 of the best behaved children around!

Helmiina helped me paint the girl's room one day. The ceiling is a pale pink, and the walls are a pale green. Now, I need FURNITURE, bed coverings, and curtains!!! All the furniture I have is second hand to start with, and it is just falling apart. Literally. I'm so tired of putting it back together. I just need some "new" (even if it's used) furniture for both of the kids' bedrooms.

A game of Cranium the night before Helmiina left; it was girls against boys...and the boys won....this time. : )

We had time for a trip up Buffalo Mountain the day Helmiina left to head to West Virginia. It was foggy when we left our house, but we had hopes of the weather clearing. Well, it didn't, but I still thoroughly enjoyed the foggy trip up the mountain!
1 comment:
I want to pet an alpaca!
Isn't it great how when you view your garden from that far up you can't tell the weeds from the vegetables? :)
That robot Hokie bird was at Steppin' Out too!! Such a creative costume.
(I assume you can figure out which statement goes with which picture.)
Post a Comment