Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Grandmother Negley



This past Saturday we left for Atlanta, GA bright and early at 5:45 am. My great grandmother died on June 19th, and we were heading down there for the funeral. She was 100 yr and 8 mo old. She was the last remaining great grandparent I had. Savannah and Alan had quite a few chances to see her before she passed away. I'm so glad of that, because maybe they'll both remember her when they're older, even if it's just a little. I have video footage of them together as well as several pictures. These two pictures were taken the last time we saw her on February 27, 2008. Grandmother Negley was actually coherent enough to talk to Alan a little bit as he stood next to her chair. He finally could no longer resist the temptation and reached up to grab the skin hanging from her chin as you can see in the picture above. It was pretty funny; I don't think he knew what it was! In the upper picture, my mother is on the far right and my grandfather (who is Grandmother Negley's son-in-law, not son) is in the back above Grandmother Negley.
We had a good weekend, though it was quick. There were so many family members at the funeral! Somewhere between 60 and 80, I'm not quite sure. Grandmother Negley had 4 daughters (all of which are still living), 20 grandchildren, 29 great grandchildren, and 13 great great grandchildren. I met some second cousins that I'd never met before. After the funeral, almost all the family went back to my grandparent's house and we ate dinner. It was good to see everyone and be able to visit with some of my cousins. Aaron drove home Sunday night with a carload of my sisters and brother-in-laws/boyfriends because he needed to meet with someone Monday morning. Amanda stayed behind to drive home with me and the kids. Katie Mae is not wild about road trips. She did ALOT of exercising her lungs, but we made it home with minimal stops.
I now have a super busy week ahead of me! Tomorrow, I'm going grocery shopping with my mom and the kids (pray for me! shopping with the three kids is SO tiring and takes FOREVER! That's why my mom goes with me!); Thursday, I have homeschool group, and Friday, we have two families coming over for the 4th. I'm rather overwhelmed at everything that I need to do this week! So, off I go to get ready for grocery shopping tomorrow!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails